Mayor Calhoun, the City’s first mayor, insisted in 1803 that something be done with the water situation. The City Council appoints a commission, made up of twelve commissioners, to “Collect the springs at the head of Carroll’s Run and to conduct the water into the community by pipes.” The ‘main’ pipes being laid were of wood (hemlock logs) construction about eight feet long with a twelve inch outside diameter and having bores ranging from one and a half inches to four inches, inside diameter. One end of the log had been tapered to a spigot, and in the other end, a bell was hollowed out. The ‘service’ pipes being laid were of cedar log construction about six feet long, of six inch outside diameter and having bore of about one inch, inside diameter. The residents, whose property these pipe were to be laid, opposed to this plan and stopped the City from doing so.
In 1804 the City started purchasing cast iron pipe from England. By 1829 13 miles of pipe were laid in the city. Half of which were wooden. This pipe, which is on display at the Montebello Filtration plant was dug up at Pratt and Paca streets some years ago. The top photo shows the build up of lime which was added to the water after the 1880 construction of the gatehouse at Montebello.